Sunday 26 March 2017

Addiction to Mobile Phones: Can we look away for a while?

By: Paula Maria Chegam (48699)

Many youngsters, teenagers, adults are addicted to modern digital products, such as mobile phones, as the social psychologist Adam Atler warns many of us in his new book “Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked" (Dreifus, 2017). He shared that mobile phones cause an addiction which he like to refer to as "behavioural addiction".

Why We Can't Look Away From Our Screens?

Based on the interview in the article, he shared about how an individual gets addicted to mobile phones as they use it most of their time. He admitted that he is also a mobile phone addict. However, he had his own ways to restrain himself from using it especially when he is interacting with his family members.

He suggested a way to reduce the use of mobile phones in our daily life. He suggest that an individuals should be mindful of how mobile phones or any technologies will invade ones personal life.

Do you think that his suggestion works for you? Have you ever reduce the usage of mobile phones in your everyday life? If so, how did you manage to do it? If not, would you like to try to reduce your addiction to mobile phones and how will you do it?

Reference:
Dreifus, C. (2017). Why We Can't Look Away From Our Screens. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/science/technology-addiction-irresistible-by-adam-alter.html?_r=0

7 comments:

  1. Dear PMC, thanks for the sharing. It is undeniable that most or maybe all of us are addicted to mobile phones or should we call it, smartphones. It is something that one cannot avoid and some people even panicking if their smartphone is not with them.
    I want to share that I also tend to be like that sometimes. I feel anxious and panic if my smartphone is not with me. It feels like I can lose something else but, not my phone. Sometimes, when walk in the crowd or passes people while walking I would take my phone out and act like someone is messaging me. I acted like that because I'm afraid of people looking at me and I'm afraid to make eye contact with people.
    Reading this, I think that I will try to reduce the usage of my phone and try to interact with people face-to-face.
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally have tried some of the suggestions. However, it does not working as smartphone has became one of the important item in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Paula for the sharing. Mobile phones is a modern drug where it basically makes us addicted to it. A study shows that our brain produce the same hormone for addiction to drug and to be constantly checking out our phone.. Do I say that it is possible to stop it? Most probably not. We can reduce it but we cannot stop it. And this may makes it worse than being addicted to drugs or cigarettes, or whatever non-digital addiction is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya sa bersetuju dengan kenyataan di atas PMC. Pada pendapat sa, perubahan corak kehidupan lebih - lebih lagi kanak - kanak pada masa kini yang cenderung dibesarkan dengan gajet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apa Adam cakap memang betul. Kanak-kanak masa kini lebih kepada gajet. Lebih kepada buku. Buku tu penting.. Media ni mudah terpengaruh sebab syaitan duk goda budak2.. Biar emak dan ayah yang didik anak agar jangan mudah trdedah dengan gajet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. saya kurang jelas dengan kenyataan saudara fahzal. Tetapi kita tidak boleh salah ibu bapa dalam mendidik anak-anak mereka kerana anak-anak kini lebih menghabiskan masa mereka dengan kawan-kawan. Mereka lebih cenderung untuk mengikut jejak rakan-rakan.

      Delete
  6. Sebagai seorang manusia, kita juga seharusnya mengetahui batas-batas ketika menggunakan telefon pintar. Janganlah terlalu taksub dengan telefon pintar kerana ianya akan memudaratkan kehidupan kita di kemudian hari kelak.

    ReplyDelete